Wednesday 9 May 2012

Loula S. Rodopoulos

Cobblestones

Euros tumble from my pocket
tinkle in tune with Mozart
sway in companionship with Strauss
sweep cobblestones once tarred in blood
bounce in unison with motley street performers  
rebuff touting restaurateurs
weave through tourist loom  
visit Hapsburg sites   art galleries   Klimt   Schiele  
stride Kärtnerstrasse with opulent women  & their leashed companions
pause at monument of Gutenberg  
reflect on printing press  power
slide over fragments of history   cultural & religious schism    holocaust  
cobble my impressions in words

Vienna & Salzburg
2005


Interview

TSTmpj:  What inspires you to write, generally?  Do you listen to classical music while you are composing poetry?

Loula Rodopoulos:  I commenced writing poetry in the mountains of the Peloponnese Greece – my refuge from professional activities in Australia where I was born.  Comparative experiences, particularly those that relate to social and political issues, are the focus of many of my poems. I do listen to music when writing but not necessarily classical.

*

TSTmpj:  I have been told that if one is unfamiliar with classical music, Mozart is the composer to begin your acquaintance with it.  What is your view of this?

Loula Rodopoulos:  I don't have a strong view about this as I am familiar with the work of classical musicians since my schooldays.

*

TSTmpj:  Can you share some thoughts on the "high culture" of Europe as you see it relating to contemporary Australia?

Loula Rodopoulos:  "Cobblestones" is an example of a travel poem that reflects on "high culture" in Europe.  Whilst I enjoy the experiences I am also cognisant of the historical, political and socio-economic issues of the city. In Berlin, for instance, I was moved by the black and white drawings of K. Kollwitz depicting the hunger of women and children in the 1920s and 1930s. Such exhibitions relate to contemporary Australia in enhancing our understanding of the of immigrant experience.


Bio Note

In 2011 Loula Rodopoulos received a commendation for Chestnuts and a high commendation for Morning In Vienna.

No comments:

Post a Comment